There are a variety of social media platforms that private dental practices might consider pertinent to have presence on. The time spent investing in social media activity is meant to yield a return on the number of leads and, in turn, new patient registrations. So private dental practices will want to make the most of the time spent engaging in social media so that it is worthwhile. That means having a presence on the right social media platforms and using the right social media tools.
Here we run down the top 3 social media platforms for private dental practices and the top 3 social media tools to help private dental practices manage those platforms.
Top 3 social media platforms for private dental practices
- Facebook – Facebook is an obvious choice, but the reason it works so well for private dental practices is primarily because it is the biggest and most ubiquitous. It provides private dental practices with a huge potential audience to engage with. It’s easy to share content such as videos; it is a powerful way to boost website SEO by linking a website from Facebook; it enables the scheduling of content at specific times and it enables private dental practices to engage with their patients on a regular basis. The only downside being that it can be expensive to advertise through Facebook post boosting. But used properly and for the right messages, post boosting can be an easier way to advertise than many other traditional forms of advertising.
- Twitter – Twitter is another powerful tool that is better served as a conversational tool than Facebook. Where Facebook fails, Twitter triumphs. A Facebook business page gives little freedom to interact and intercept with people, whereas Twitter provides more functionality to engage with trending topics and strike up conversations. A conversation is usually a more powerful and personal means of striking up a relationship, where Facebook is usually more suited to selling.
- LinkedIn – A professional LinkedIn page is a great way of sharing expertise in dentistry, and provides an opportunity to network with professionals who might be likely to use the services of private dentists. LinkedIn enables the sharing of content such as blogs and testimonials with those the profile is linked to.
Top 3 social media tools for private dental practices
- Edgar – Edgar is a social media tool that takes the hassle out of scheduling content. With Facebook reach down to just 4%, Edgar helps to get the most out of social updates by enabling users to categorise posts, and Edgar manages the library of content and can post content at a specified time of day. So, private dental practices can manage a library of tips, sugar facts, blog posts, videos and funny quotes, which Edgar will scroll through on a cyclical basis, getting the best out of all of those social media updates.
- Hootsuite – Another powerful scheduling tool, but the functionality of Hootsuite extends beyond the ability of just scheduling content: it allows users to interact and engage with content that has been posted, so that users can strike up conversations on Twitter from Hootsuite, amongst much other functionality. Hootsuite is a bit of an all-in-one solution. It’s generally good at everything, but other tools are better at specific tasks. It has a very useful bulk tweet upload tool, which enables multiple tweets to be scheduled in advance.
- Bitly – Bitly is not really a social media tool. You can’t post to social media networks from it. You can’t schedule any content. But what Bitly does do is enable powerful analysis of web traffic through its URL shortener tool. Simply copy a web link in to Bitly and it will provide a shortened version of that URL, which can be shared on social networks and the click-throughs to that website can be monitored. An essential tool to help manage and understand web traffic in a connected world. And with that analysis, private dental practices can make informed decisions about what content clients are engaging with.
If you are interested in getting your dental practice noticed on social media, please click here to find our more about our Dental Marketing packages, or call 01604 779035.
Author: Dave Williams
Dave Williams is the founder and director of onefoursix; a digital marketing agency based in Northampton. After setting up onefoursix in 2011, Dave has gone on to grow it to one of Northampton’s finest agencies. His expertise include social media, user experience and SEO.
Share this Post