Lets be fair; we all hate those monthly, weekly, and sometimes daily sales emails that somehow find their way through your highly effective spam filters. People are far too busy to read every single one, so you need to make your email marketing campaign as interesting and eye catching as possible!
Here are some of our top tips for a killer email marketing campaign! We particularly like numbers 1, 4 and 6. Strange that!
- Short and Strong Title
- An absolute MUST if you are to grab your readers attention whilst they are hovering over that delete button. Your email marketing title should be informative, eye catching, and a little different. Think outside the box, but steer clear of words such as “offer” and “discount” if you want to see your email make it through those pesky spam filters. Keep it short. No one wants to spend 2 hours reading just the title!
- Images vs Text
- Make your emails visually appealing. You want to catch the attention of the reader, so they read on! Images and funky graphics will do that. However bear in mind that some email browsers (such as Outlook) require the recipient to click a button to download images before they actually see them. In this instance text is a necessity!
- Keep that Balance
- People hate to be sold too. I hate it. You hate it. We all HATE IT! So stop doing it. Or at least don’t make it so obvious. You need to keep a good balance between copy that advises and informs the recipient, and those sales and offer messages.
- Calls to Action
- Another absolute MUST if you are to entice the recipient to take that step further and actually buy from you. Calls to action should be everywhere! Messages encouraging people to pop in or call the office, ‘Find out more’ buttons that click through a bespoke landing page. The list is endless. Make sure your recipient takes action!
- Test, Test, Test!
- What works for other businesses may not work for you and your recipients. The only way of knowing whether your email marketing list prefers offers to your weekly blog is to test it! This is the only way you will know what designs and layouts work best, whether your recipients actually like an offer, whether images or copy work best, and whether you should personalise your emails.
- Email marketing tools such as Mailchimp have some very easy ways of keeping a track of how your email marketing campaigns have performed. Keep a track of exactly who has clicked on what, email open rates, and even those who have unsubscribed. You don’t know what you don’t know!
- Repeat, Repeat, Repeat!
- Do not send one or two emails and stop. You may not get a response off of the first couple of emails but do not get disheartened. Remember we are trying to build relationships here, and relationships take time. Stick at it. It will not just generate new customers over time, but these email marketing campaigns will keep those valued customers on board too!
If you want to know more about how you can build an effective email marketing campaign for your business, or if you would like the onefoursix team to regularly manage your email marketing campaign for you, then click here or call 01604 601100.
Author: Dave Williams
Dave Williams is the founder and director of onefoursix; a digital marketing agency based in Northampton. After setting up onefoursix in 2011, Dave has gone on to grow it to one of Northampton’s finest agencies. His expertise include social media, user experience and SEO.
Share this Post